Art and language have always played a vital role in education, moreover in the development of human personality. With our focus on art and language courses and activities at EduLift, we aim to build and offer a more diverse curriculum.
Art and Language: The Art and Language program is designed to provide creative education and skills development through innovative approaches alongside the traditional approaches currently implemented in Nepali education. It operates for 4 months a year, every week with after school activities. There are three sections to the course: ‘Art and Design’, ‘Spoken Word Poetry’ and ‘Drama’. Specifically designed to help children develop their English language competency whilst nurturing various skills in creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication skills the course is multi-faceted. It is fundamentally student-centered with experiential learning at every level tremendously increasing the level of students’ engagement and enthusiasm in their learning. By the end of the program, each student will develop and perform poetry, drama and create an artistic design displayed in a public gallery in Kathmandu. It is confidence building, collaborative at its core, enhances communication skills and nurture’s student’s creative spirit.
- Developing students’ capacity for creative expression and collaboration via exposure to different art forms.
- To enhance students’ capacity for “meaning-making” learning through art and language.
- Encouraging students to see, touch and build various things individually and in groups so that they may develop ways to express themselves and their surroundings through the medium of art and design.
- Fosters free-thinking for students to translate their visualization, imagination into a concrete product, be that written poetry or poetry recitation to encourage creative expression.
- To promote communication skills, teamwork, dialogue, negotiation, and socialization through the medium of drama.
Art and language: 1. Art and Design 2. Spoken Word Poetry 3. Drama
ART & DESIGN: Encouraging students to see, touch and build various things individually and in groups so that they may develop ways to express themselves and their surroundings through the medium of art and design.
Why art and design should be in learning:
- To make them think imaginatively and creatively and develop confidence in other subjects and life skills.
- To enable them to learn how to reflect critically on their own and others’ work.
- Art and Design provide freedom for the students to find an understanding of themselves and of their environment, where they “learn by doing”.
- They learn to think and act as artists, makers, and designers, working creatively and intelligently.
- Participants to engage with and explore visual, tactile and other sensory experiences and how to recognize and communicate ideas and meanings.
- Let them Explore art and design as a learning tool
- Let them Experience how art and design helps in learning
- Let’s Expand art and design as a tool of teaching.
SPOKEN WORD POETRY: Foster’s free-thinking for students to translate their visualization, imagination into a concrete product, be that written poetry or poetry recitation to encourage creative expression.
Why Spoken Word Poetry
- To exercise the aesthetic qualities of languages and to enable communicating ideas to its reader that may otherwise be difficult to perceive.
- It helps to address various life skills such as creativity and communication techniques.
- Students will be encouraged to explore their likes and dislikes, what their interests and hopes are, how they feel, how they imagine and how they can convey this through language and delivery.
- Students will learn to have richer ways of describing their texts through the use of alliteration, repetition, rhymes, hyperbole, etc.
1. Let them Explore the elements of a spoken word poetry
2. Let them Experience the aesthetic qualities of language as a tool to create images in the listener’s mind and affect them through delivery.
DRAMA: To promote communication skills, teamwork, dialogue, negotiation, and socialization through the medium of drama
- To offers many opportunities to practice all language skills: speaking, listening and reading.
- To promote methods to pass on ideas and concepts that help the individual and community to understand themselves and each other further.
- Help students prepare spontaneous answers or actions.
- It helps to explore and improve different things ( language, history, geography, music) in a highly experiential way.
- To offer the opportunities to form and develop team spirit.
- It helps them to muster up the confidence to make a public appearance.
Explore: Let them explore to link their emotions and feelings with body language.
Experience: Let them experience their actions through improvisation.
Expand: Let’s’ expand it to empower more engagement with the communities.